MALIGNANT PEARS

blog aboutnewsmusicpoetrytypepurchasecontact

8.29.2009

Jazz Attitude II

Today has been a wild day. Yet, a part of me lives for such days... it's part of what makes me human, what makes me an artist, and what makes me a scholar.

Simply as a formality, I will say that I absolutely endorse movement by performing musicians. I absolutely love Jazz, and I love what Jazz performers do when they play. It is a wonderful thing when musicians can "cut loose" and feel music in all its cathartic glory. I also love hearing applause when I walk onto the stage. It makes me feel accepted, supported, and welcomed. That's why we clap for people.

My last blog intentionally "pushed buttons." Way too many of them. And I didn't clarify my position very well. Frankly, I probably got what I deserved. I don't think anyone should have to answer to angry professors for things that happened on Facebook, but this is a new world of global connection—where everyone can read everything, and I should have been prepared.

Meditating on today's events, however, I realized something. "Damage control" is not all I'll be doing this week. I'll also be opening up lines of communication between professor and student, and between Jazz and classical. Students will talk about this. Professors will talk about this. Each of us will learn something wonderful about ourselves and about music.

I have already learned so many things, even from angry, scathing emails. I have learned wonderful, marvelous things that will change me as a musician and as a person forever. Isn't this what school (and life) is all about?

No comments :

Post a Comment