MALIGNANT PEARS

blog aboutnewsmusicpoetrytypepurchasecontact

8.27.2009

The Jazz Attitude

First of all, I would like to point out that I hate clapping for musicians when they arrive on stage. It doesn’t make any sense. They haven’t done anything yet. And, more importantly, they might not deserve applause.

But that’s not what this blog is about (as you can probably guess from the title). First, let me say that I have nothing but the utmost respect for Jazz. It’s a style of music that I enjoy greatly as a listener, and one which mystifies me both in theory and practice. Those of you who are jazz musicians, please comment. I am curious especially about your thoughts/justifications.

Why is it that jazz seems to elicit a complete lack of self-control and tact during performance? Why must jazz musicians dart about the stage, tapping their feet, mumbling nonsense to themselves, contorting their bodies, and making disconcerting facial gesticulations that warn either of sexual euphoria or epilepsy? In all other fields of music teachers emphasize physical balance and unobtrusive behavior which will focus the audience on the music—players even dress in black uniforms to minimize their physical presence.

I understand that jazz has an affect which implies “nonchalance.” But imagine a classical bassist who sang to himself while playing and thrashed around his body throwing it completely out of alignment and destabilizing his center of gravity. He simply would not be taken seriously. This type of behavior would be discouraged by any teacher. Yet in the jazz world, it seems to be encouraged.

I think it’s likely that I’m missing something integral here, and I am completely out of line. Tell me what you think.

No comments :

Post a Comment